Barnet’s Sustainability Strategy
What is the strategy
We have started work on Barnet’s Sustainability Strategy.
- help create a sustainable future for Barnet and support a green recovery from COVID-19
- propose actions to meet central government targets, including net zero carbon emissions by 2050
- bring together existing policies and practices
Our Sustainability Strategy Framework was approved by Policy and Resources Committee on 9 December. It lays the groundwork for the Sustainability Strategy by defining our net zero ambitions, setting some commitments and detailing the next steps for the development of the strategy.
It has been agreed that we will set the target of being net zero carbon as an organisation by 2030 and for Barnet as a place to be net zero as soon as possible after that and by 2050 at the latest.
Why Barnet needs a Sustainability Strategy
We need a Sustainability Strategy to show how Barnet will respond to the government’s net zero target as well as help residents do their bit to ensure we achieve, or exceed these targets.
We want to improve the environment and help residents to benefit from better and more sustainable ways of doing things.
The strategy will help us to:
- contribute to the governments net zero target
- improve the health of residents
- protect the local environment and encourage biodiversity and sustainable urban drainage (SUDs)
- create new business and economic opportunities
- bring into focus the action plan for those areas of council services that can be made more sustainable
Our Sustainability Strategy will also help us meet central government sustainability targets, which can be found in the:
Sustainability in existing policies
Environmental policies and practices, and our approach to sustainability is already included in existing documents across the council.
The Sustainability Strategy will look to support and bring together these elements of work from:
- Barnet 2025 Corporate Plan
- Local Plan
- Housing Strategy
- Long Term Transport Strategy 2020 to 2041
- The Growth Strategy
- Parks and Open Spaces Strategy
- Air Quality Action Plan
- Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan
- Local Flood Risk Management Strategy
- Tree Policy